Frequently Asked Questions

Common questions about work rights for international students in Australia.

The cap applies to all international students, regardless of when they started their studies.

Yes, during recognised periods of vacation provided by your education provider, you are allowed to work unlimited hours.

No, if you are a postgraduate research student on a student visa (subclass 500), you have no limit on the number of hours you can work once your course has commenced.

The 48 hours a fortnight work limit does not apply if you engage in work that is specified as a requirement of your course of study or training.

For all other types of work, you will need to count these hours towards the 48-hour fortnightly limit.

You can check your visa conditions with the Department of Home Affairs. Their website provides detailed information on different visa types, including student visas.

A fortnight is a period of 14 days starting on a Monday.

No, the 48 hours cap is the total number of hours you can work per fortnight across all your paid employment.

If you are working under an ABN you will still need to abide by the working hours cap of 48 hours per fortnight.

No, an employer cannot cancel your student visa.

It depends on your level of study.  Partners or spouses of student visa holders who have started studying a masters or doctorate degree can work unrestricted hours.

Partners or spouses of all other student visa holders can work no more than 48 hours a fortnight.  It’s important to remember partners or spouses of student visa holders cannot work before the student’s course starts.

You can learn more about visa conditions at the Department of Home Affairs.